September 30, 2009

Practically Perfect in Every Way

If I were my old roommate Candice, I would describe this past weekend as the bomb. I'm not as cool as Candice though, so I'll fall back on some Mary Poppins and just tell you it was a great weekend.



Once I arrived in Salt Lake I spent a little bit of time with my sister-in-law Brooke. She was nice enough to allow Zach to bypass a nap which I'm sure they both needed. Instead we got to talk about colors, play and laugh together while I waited for Shannon to finish up at work. Thanks Brooke!

Later on, Shannon and I happily reunited over the best pizza in Utah. If any of you Utah Valley folks have not yet tried Settebello, I would highly recommend you do. We topped off dinner with some gelato, and then ran over to Anthropologie so I could pick up a wedding present for the next day. The main event of the night was even better than dinner. We decided to do a session at the temple as I had not had the opportunity to go through while still living in Utah. I am grateful for the memories created, for the knowledge that Shannon shared with me, and for the opportunity to participate in such an important work in such an inspiring place. Spending time with Shannon usually results in an emotional and spiritual high so I was eager to spend a bit more time with her this weekend. On sunday, I came back up to Salt Lake well in advance of my flight. We strolled around her beautiful neighborhood, taking in the changing colors and interesting architecture and attended church together before heading home.


Saturday night after the temple and a necessary stop at Mavericks for some strawberry frozen yogurt, Shannon ran me down to Provo. Alex and Alyssa were my host family for the two nights I was in town. We stayed up way too late talking and grappling with the fact that our little Lacey was getting married. The next day found us awake at the crack of dawn as we needed to be in St. George for a late morning sealing. The drive was half the fun, just catching up with this girl who spent several years sharing a rather small living space with me.

We were so glad to be invited and able to support Lacey. To put all my feelings about this experience into words would be difficult. I can say that after living with Lacey for four years and witnessing her journey to this day, we were beside ourselves with joy and emotion being in the temple with her as she makes this next, most important step. Did we even remember to bring tissues with us, no!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

You know what I think? I think I'm pretty darn lucky that I got to spend some quality time with you this past weekend. And it's nice to know you're only a phone call away. Love ya to pieces!

Mum said...

Glad you had a wonderful trip. Lacey, Shannon and Alyssa look great, (as do you)!
Brooke is an awesome sister-in-law!

C&C said...

you're definitely cool enough to say "the bomb". i love the st. George temple. but i am biased. Lacey looks great and so do you.

Anonymous said...

Me = jealous much. You are looking so good, by the way. I meant that in a, "hey girlfriend, you must be takin' real good care of yourself and your hair is great" sort of way, not a, "I'm way creepy" sort of way.

emilie s. d. p. said...

Sometimes I really miss Utah!