October 04, 2009

Life is like a box of chocolates or.....

an old time rail journey.

President Hinckley came across the words of Jenkins Lloyd Jones in a newspaper. He said regarding marriage, but with a much broader application:

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed.

"Most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise.

"Life is like an old-time rail journey---delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."


I think these words are meant to be my life motto. They first spoke to me via Shannon's blog. Then again heard them from the temple sealer at Lacey and Eli's wedding. The third time was in a sacrament meeting talking. I nearly took Shannon's leg off as I sat there and listened as the speaker read through these now familiar words. A few tears sprung from my eyes as I let the message flow through me. Life is not meant to be a miserable task. Though we know it will be hard, there are beautiful vistas around some of those turns. I have a feeling there are even more if we really look for them.

6 comments:

Mum said...

The sooner we enjoy the journey for what it is the more content we will be:)The spectacular vistas come now and then, the journey is daily, and there are plenty of bright spots in it, like you say,we just need to look:)Good luck today.

BrookeJean said...

Thanks Lauren! This was a great message. I'm glad you shared.

Anonymous said...

I just copied and pasted this into my mind forever. Well, I literally copied and pasted it into my Word document journal. You are great.

Shannon said...

For the record, I think you do a great job at recognizing and valuing the positives in your life. Last night you mentioned that this was one of your greatest weaknesses, and I was immediately surprised at that. I don't have a single memory of you dwelling in the negative. The simple fact that you keep going and keep trying attests to the fact that you have faith in the beautiful vistas to come.

I, myself, mostly enjoy the last phrase of this quote - "the trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." THAT is what I need to work on.

(Sorry for the long comment! And sorry our phone call cut off last night - I was driving through a canyon, so that could've been it...).

Hilary Jan said...

I don't ever recal heearing that before, thank you! I really like it and I appriciate you sharing that with me. That is a wonderful life motto.

emilie s. d. p. said...

I'm so glad you shared this!
I often find myself looking forward to a "better" future instead of just enjoying the moment. I really think I need to start focusing on the beauty of the present and really be thankful for the life I'm living right now.