September 20, 2009

Need a laugh?

Have one, or a few at my expense.

This story may be wasted on you if you are not someone who truly knows me, hope you still get a laugh out of it though.

Saturday night found me at a hoppin dance party. You may think to yourself "what's the big deal?" Well my friend, me dancing, is a HUGE deal. I usually would not touch a dance with a ten foot pole. I opted out of all high school dances, avoided as many church ones as I could and never, ever voluntarily danced for any other reason. (Moshing at Muse doesn't really count.) I blame my British aversion to physical contact and rhythm, but basically if anyone around me starts dancing I go rigid. I love music but never let it flow through my tightly wound body.

Back to the dance party. It was hosted by a friend of Janine's friend at a really cool old house in a part of Omaha I would not hang out in after 5pm on any given day. I went begrudgingly, under the pretense that we would stay for 15 minutes and Janine would not dance nor would she leave my side. (I'm a whinny baby I know.) All promises were furthermore broken and Janine now owes me a Range Rover. Fifteen minutes turned into over two hours and not dancing was remarkably like dancing. My attempts to stay firmly planted on a couch were in vain. Within ten minutes of being inside I was on that hot and sweaty dance floor. Thank goodness for the fog machine and strobe lights. For the most part visibility was poor (see first picture) and as long as my fellow dancers were sucking down alcohol, I felt quite liberated. I'm sure I would have been more relaxed if my diet coke had been spiked but I was not about to leave my cup sitting around that joint.

Thank goodness Janine found these pictures on facebook, I'd hardly believe this out of character tale myself. I have not turned into a dancing queen, however under similar circumstances I might be willing to bust a move. Church dances are definitely still ruled out because everyone will be sober (hopefully) and the music is usually LAME.

So I'd like to take a moment to thank Janine. She has been a key player in the expansion of my horizons here in Omaha, you still owe me a Range Rover for last night though!

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow. That is indeed impressive. You did seem to like dancing in St. Mark's piazza though.

Anonymous said...

I got a great chuckle out of this story--and the picture of you-oh the picture just makes it that much better.

Shannon said...

You win the greatest story of the weekend award. I am still laughing out loud from your line last night -
No one kicked me out or anything, so..." Too funny. Those are some crazy looking people on the dance floor with you, by the way.

Mum said...

Sorry, not a blog to make a mother proud!

emilie s. d. p. said...

Awesome! I love the picture of you boogying in the corner! Hahaha. I love that you got into it (with the help of strobe lights and the fog machine) and that someone was able to document it!
I'm a pretty firm non-dancer myself so I give props to Janine for getting you out there on the dance floor.

In the future, if we ever wind up at a dance party together I promise I'll be your couch buddy!

Hilary Jan said...

HAHA, I am quite literally laughing out loud as I read this. I love to dance but mostly when I am all my myself (or with Cassie) or with some crazy friends in the wee hours of the night. I really hope Janine pays up!

Molly said...

Um, I was looking for the quote that you told me about tonight, and I came across this little treasure of a post. I'm not sure how I missed this one. All I can say is that you are dirty rotten liar because I've seen you bust a move in Venice and you are one heck of a dancer. I hope that you implemented those very steps at this party.