September 19, 2009

For those who don't garden

This morning I grabbed my "save the planet" canvas tote (that I got free from a department store, come on I practically collect plastic bags) and met up with Annika to go to the farmer's market in Omaha's Old Market. I love it all, the tasty samples, cute crafts, beautiful zinias, super talented troup of kids playing their fiddles/violins/cellos, the creepy he/she selling plants, all at the farmers market.

We touched just about every tomato laid before us in order to find some with the right amount of firmness. For my salsa endeavors, I filled up the bag with green onions, cilantro, bell peppers, a red onion and some other sort of pepper that is sure to be hot, but not "blow your tongue off hot" the guy assured me. It all made for a very aromatic bag!

I mustered up some self restraint as I approached the homemade pie table and determined that my only purchase would be the rhubarb pie for Janine. I claim some success because I did not buy a pie for myself (I'm referring to the mini/personal sized ones, don't be horrified) however a small loaf of pumpkin chocolate chip bread did find its way into my bag. Rejoice and let the pumpkin consumption begin! One taste and I'm now ready to go to town with Emilie's recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.

As a side note, I checked the forecast and I'm pretty sure next week's weather will be cool enough for long sleeves. I guess as per my previous agreement, that means I can finally indulge in some of these.

4 comments:

Mum said...

Who knew you liked pumpkin?? Hope your salsa turned our well. Will make some with our homegrown stuff when you are home:)
Mum:)

Molly said...

I love you! I saw some of those pumpkins candies the other day and it totally reminded me of you. :)

emilie s. d. p. said...

Mmmmm....pumpkin chocolate chip cookies sound delicious right now!

My weakness lately has been muffins. I made a bunch of choc. chip zuchinni bread/muffins last week and then some more brown sugar muffins this morning. I think I've convinced myself that it's okay if I eat four muffins in a row because it's not like they're cookies or cake or something. When in reality they're just as bad.

Hilary Jan said...

I love farmer's markets! I try to go to the Provo one often, I am currently enjoying tomatos and peaches from there. Good to know that if I ever live in Omaha there is a good one there.