January 24, 2009

Making Plans

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." Bill Cosby


I was humbled today as I looked at my favorite photo journalism website, it never fails to deliver. The article and source of the included pictures can be found here. In summary, the entry deals with the large number of Africans fleeing their native country in hopes of a better life in Europe. I think back to the many Africans I came across on the streets of Europe this past year. At the time, I was bothered by their persistent sale tactics. Looking back I realize this was likely desperation on their part. Selling a pair of sunglasses or a knock off purse meant more than just passing the time. Thousands of people are immigrating for the chance to have freedom and the opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their family.

This past week has found me feeling trapped and limited in regards to my future. It is time for change and growth, I feel it in my bones. As I try to balance reality with my desire, I am struck by a crippling fear that I won't be able to progress as I would like because things are expensive, risky, and difficult.

As I looked at these nameless faces, I felt humbled. My challenges pale in comparison to those who leave their family, belongings and country in order to seek passage over waters in the hopes that they will be permitted to enter a new country and perhaps find work. Fear is but a trick of the mind, doubt is a tool of the devil. I have been richly blessed with opportunities and an education that has ignited a passion for learning. I only hope that my determination is greater than the road blocks in front of me.




1 comment:

emilie s. d. p. said...

I think the scariest part about the future is the unknown. It's hard to put yourself out there without knowing whether you'll succeed or whether things will turn out like you've planned.
With that said I definitely agree that fear is only a trick of the mind, it's only our weaknesses getting the best of us. And you are way too smart and talented to let fear or doubt get the best of you. I hope that you'll be able to live life to the fullest and proceed with great hopes and plans for your future without feeling trapped or afraid. I'm sure there will be obstacles to overcome but nothing you can't handle. Sometimes you have to take risks in order to grow.
Plus, no matter what happens you can always come stay with Mitch and I after we move to law school...wherever that will be. So just remember you always have us as a backup if things don't work out elsewhere :o)