December 05, 2008

Word to the Wise

For those of you that may feel inclined to read Running With Scissors at any point in your life, DO NOT DO IT. I picked up this book last night from the library and was sorely disappointed to learn it is full of vulgar and foul content. The book received warm praise and I knew of the quirky nature of his youth before picking it up to read. I thought this book would be an entertaining not repulsive.

Augusten Burroughs experienced a twisted and misspent youth and no one can fault him for that. I just wish that he had filtered what he chose to include in his memoir. Whatever his intended or desired reaction is, I feel it could have been achieved at the same level without such unsavory anecdotes and vile language.

Darn that Forger's Spell for being checked out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I wish that I would have known you got this book beforehand. I bought it a couple of years ago at an airport bookstore. Wow! I have never read anything so disgusting. I quickly threw the book away. Yikes!

emilie s. d. p. said...

Weird. I'm sorry you wasted your time. It's always the worst to be excited about a new book and then have it turn out to be such crap.
Good luck with your next selection.

Hilary Jan said...

This was on my list, thanks for the heads up.