September 08, 2008

Homeward Bound

I think I am way past due on a new post or two and shamefully behind when it comes to reporting back on my trip home. Apart from the absence of a summer thunderstorm, the trip did not disappoint! It was low key but full of things I love. There was summer grilling, Sonic trips galore, shopping, walking the dog, movie watching, card making, book reading goodness until my hearts content. I didn't realize that being dropped off at the airport would be as heart wrenching as it was but that only means I love my family lots and had a great time I guess!


The Momma on her birthday, clearly elated to be receiving a Bob Marley CD, and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium from Janine. One of the best parts about going home was to be there for my mom's birthday and to have Janine there as well for that grand occasion. PS I got her new MAC makeup brushes which garnered an equally warm reception but apparently no photograph.


We went out for a birthday lunch at a Mongolian place and for dinner we made bean dip and my favorite pico de gallo/ salsa for mom.

For dessert, mom requested the "We need to talk, chocolate dessert pizza." I think the altitude and climate change made some changes to the outcome of the recipe but all in all, it was yummy!

If at all possible, this is what the table would look like day in and day out. I love making cards with mom but hate to clean up. If we left it out then we could make them whenever we wanted to without having to get everything back out.

One of my favorite things in the house, the bookshelf. Though we did not play any Harry Potter Trivia, I did pick up and re-read the seventh book and boy was my mom glad when I finished. I turned into a little bit of a hermit and would hide away reading for hours at a time...I can't help it if I took good books along!

I am big game player when I am at home. Skip bo, Pick Two, and Dominoes topped the list this time. I think I could play Mexican Dominoes forever.

While we were there, Darius and Dad were up for testing and advancement to the next belt level in their martial arts class. They both advanced belts which is almost as impressive as Mom and I staying for almost two hours to watch!

Last but not least Darius and I spent a bit of quality time in the game room. He showed me his new guitar which I may someday steal from him, and then he sat through the painstaking process of hearing me play Guitar Hero. I don't suck too much but I definitely don't have coordination...even of the fingers!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

you didn't tell me you read the 7th Harry Potter book again whilst at home... or that Darius and your dad do karate... or that you at Mongolian food! All wonderful little details from your trip home. I'm so glad that you got to go, as hard as it was to leave and as hard as it is now with everything. Just remember: You are too cool for school. (don't ask me why I just typed that). And you don't have alopecia. Thank goodness!

emilie s. d. p. said...

I love seeing these pictures! That dessert pizza looks great....I mean seriously, how could that much sugar ever turn out bad.
And can I just say I think it's awesome that your mom got the Bob Marley CD for her b-day! I can just see her singin' along..."buffalo soldier..."!

emilie s. d. p. said...

By the way, did you know Melissa King(Sunday) has a blog? You should add it to your stalking list :o)

Hilary Jan said...

Oh home, sigh, I am jeleous but I am glad you were able to get away and just relax. I love Bob Marley and the fact that you mother can appriciate that also just adds to the many reasons I think your mother is wonderful. I am sad there were no thunderstorms, that makes me feel a little better, but just a little. How would you feel about giving up on our lives in Provo and going back to North Platte to hang out with our parents? We could get jobs at the library (I have always wanted to secretly be a librarian) and hang out with the women in Relief Society (I could be entertained by my mom, your mom, and Karen Williams for hours) My mother would never allow it but a girl can dream!