March 30, 2010

Con Queso

I picked this book up from the library last week after a friend recommended it as a good read. Later I realized that I had read another by this author, The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Pollan's aim is to return to a simpler way of eating. The book's tag line is to 'eat food, not too much, mostly plants.' He presents some good food for thought (ha!) that I hope will be reflected in my own eating habits.

I think he would mostly approve of the contents of my shopping cart this evening however, the amount of cheese could be cause for concern. Janine and I have a penchant for cheese and a trip to the grocery store usually includes bringing home anywhere from 3-5 different cheese products.

Pollan is not likely to approve of all the candy in our apartment either but we'll just blame that on Easter and trust that the supply will soon be depleted.

Are you reading anything noteworthy?

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

I wish I were! I started Pride and Prejudice and Zombies over Christmas break because I needed a good laugh... but please tell me with graduation comes more opportunities to stretch my mind with good books!!!

seashmore said...

I'm always reading something. Usually two somethings.

However, my near obsession of being well-roundedly read sometimes gets in the way. I've developed a system. I read Something Old (a classic), then Something New (anything published in the last 3 years), then Something Random, and then Something True (well, not fiction). And I don't update my lit blog nearly enough. (I started a blog just for books I'm reading and projects I'm working on writing.)

Shannon said...

I'm on the last chapter of this book Lauren. Still good, but now when I go to the grocery store I either don't buy anything or buy some veggies and wish I had come with a plan! I can't wait for "Food Rules."

I read The Book Thief recently too, which is a very unique telling of experiences during the Holocaust. I've also been waiting for "The Help" to come in at the library, which I hear is pretty good. How I love a good book!