To be able to jump in the car and drive home over the course of an afternoon was great. Thanksgiving was busy as we spent our time helping my parents move. We took a break on thursday afternoon to have Thanksgiving dinner at a family friends house. Cooking an entire meal whilst living between two houses would have been a bit complicated so we just made sure to whip up some Marsh family essentials to compliment the dinner prepared for us. We took roast potatoes, rolls, mint sauce, chocolate cream pie, lemonade pie, and a cheesecake. We came, we ate, we conquered, and then did a bit more work after recovering our mobility without even delving into a food coma.
On friday we took a break to meet up with Clara for the exclusive "pop group." My mom and her best gal pals, Clara & Karen, meet up for diet cokes at wendy's on a regular basis. A weekly therapy session if you will. That my friends is the root of my diet coke obsession. Janine and I are of course honorary members of pop group, we often call while it is in session and are always invited when we are in town!
I kept my family in good supply of Christmas music the whole time I was home, thank you pandora. It sank in and did a number on Janine who decided we should get a live tree for the apartment once we got back. Wednesday after work I bundled up, and we checked out a lot of trees across the street from our complex.
We found the perfect tree that fit the price range and our lifting capabilities. The notion of picking out a tree is much more romantic when you carry it home yourself. We carried that baby the 5-8 minute walk home and got a lot of smiles from cars and passers by. I thought about that scene in While You Were Sleeping where Sandra Bullock's character is trying to pull her tree up and through the window, we had a much easier time just carrying it up the three flights of stairs.
Thanks to Grandma Marsh and her mad skills, we had a beautiful angel and handmade decorations from each Christmas of the past twenty years to put up. I now love being in the living room more than ever. Staring at Christmas trees in the dark has to be one of my absolute favorite aspects of the holidays.
Are you getting into the holiday season?
7 comments:
I LOVE that you bought a Christmas tree (and carried it home - oh man, the image makes me laugh). Isn't this a great time of year?!
I wanna live in the same state as my momma :(
Even though I miss you like CRAZY, I love reading your posts and just feeling how happy you are.
Ew, sappy...
i'm getting into the spirit but it is harder with no tree and no wrapped presents (everything has been picked by me and bought right in front of me...and i'm already wearing it...)! your tree looks great. one of these days (after we narrow down our options) i am going to ask your opinion on specific apt complexes. know any great ones off the top of your head?
Hey! One of my favorite things about the holidays is looking at a lit up Christmas tree in the dark! They're just so pretty!
That is so cute that you carried the tree home! It looks beautiful. I really love homemade ornaments. Maybe you can keep the tree up until the end of January when I come? :o)
I agree with Molly. We set up our tree while listening to the Christmas devotional last night. We also discovered Pandora this year, it's so great! Your post actually made me love Christmas more.
I love you sharing 'our' state too! Love the tree, it looks great, you should probably take your ornaments for next year. See you soon=)
Post a Comment