May 19, 2009

"Heavy Boots"

I recently finished reading a novel by Jonathan Safran Foer in which his main character frequently mentions having "heavy boots." Things like seeing homeless people or hearing that someone has died, makes eight year old Oskar's heart feel heavy and depressed in other words.

These past few days I have had a lingering case of "heavy boots."

Today a few things helped my boots to feel a bit lighter.
  • Surviving a brief subbing stint in sixth grade, some of those kids are scary!
  • Making homemade Orange Julius. I did this with friends last month. I probably od on it but at least it wasn't candy right?
  • Driving with the windows down, listening to some excellent music courtesy of Coldplay. They made available a live cd from their current tour as a free download last week, I've had it in my car ever since.
  • An aweseome/effective workout. I experienced a mysterious burst of energy, my shoes literally felt light on that treadmill tonight.
  • I've been following this season of Dancing With The Stars, shocker I know. American Idol type show + dancing would usually = a negative in my book, but not this one thanks to Kendra. Tonight's season finale providing some welcomed entertainment while I was working on cards. I was really happy when these guys, my favorites all along, were announced as the season champs. They were such good competitors!

7 comments:

Jodi said...

I love that book. I love that my copy is so worn from being passed to any friends looking for a good book.

Also.

Congrats on surviving the 6th grade.

Wendy said...

I love that novel with an undying, burning love.

Shannon said...

Apparently I need to read that book.

My old roommates used to say they had on their "grumpy pants" when they were having a hard time. I don't know where it came from, but it always made the hard days a little funnier.

Oh, and althoughI wasn't able to watch the finale, I was a fan of Shawn too and I'm glad she won.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your boots are a bit lighter. I love that you gave me a nod for my part in your love for DWTS. Not going to lie, I'm a big Gilles fan, so I was disappointed but oh well. It was a fun season.

Anonymous said...

So I almost cried for a couple reasons during the whole show on Monday... I thought Shawn's freestyle dance was so amazing, I realized how much i'm going to miss all of my new friends and how I really won't have a life since Amazing Race and DWTS are over...

and because you know you miss this guy....

"MOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Anonymous said...

Good reading choice. Beyond good, actually. The title of my blog stems from that very book.

Darcy said...

Lauren you are awsome! I hope you have a lot of fun adventures this summer. I really have enjoyed getting to know you this year. You are one of the highlights of the school year for me. Feel free to drop me a note from time to time on facebook, and if you wan't to ever go to a movie or something let me know.