May 21, 2009

Adieu. Auf Wiedersehen. Gesundheit. Farewell.

My favorite class of third graders.

Today marked my last day at Spring Creek for the school year. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time there and will certainly miss hearing "Miss Marsh! Miss Marsh! Guess what?!" on a daily basis.

The fifth graders like to tell me I am harsh- mostly because that is the only word that rhymes with Marsh. The sixth graders think I should be married and have kids. The fourth graders think I'm the devil because I make them read. The third graders are a little confused about not seeing me again and they keep asking me if I'm retiring.

On the day I interviewed for the job I briefly met with the principal, something he said stuck with me. He said he hoped I would come to love the children that I worked with. At the time I remember thinking that was an odd thing to say in this day and age of political correctness/anti physical contact/uber strictness in schools. Well thankfully his hope for me was realized. Though some are easier to love than others, and some need the love more than others, I definitely formed an attachment.

Despite my usual aversion to touching, I became the recipient of daily hugs from students who were excited to see me. I haven't experienced that kind of interest in my presence since living at home with our ever loving dog! Building a relationship with the kids has been so rewarding, especially as I've witnessed them make progress in their behavior and academics.



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Your last day! Wow, time flies. I have to say that it's been great to watch you really excel at your job Lauren. I know the kids have learned a lot from you... and you have in turn learned patience (ha!) and the dance moves to Maahi Ve. Lucky.

Molly said...

At the risk of sounding corny I have to say, isn't it such a blessing to know you've touched the life of a child? I remember more about the staff in elementary school than I do jr. high or high school. I'm sure these kids will remember you and the impact you've had on them!

emilie s. d. p. said...

I can't believe you've already said your goodbyes! I'm glad it was such a wonderful experience for you to work with all those children. I'm sure they will remember you (like Molly, I also remember way more of my elementary school teachers/helpers then I do from jr. high or high school).

Mum said...

Elementary kids are the best. Glad you got to do that for the year:) Love Mum