March 03, 2009

Talking it up

I am a fan of Jimmy Fallon's oeuvre in general, save a few mistakes...I mean movies. As such, I was thrilled to watch his first episode of Late Night and bummed to read the terrible reviews he was given.

Of course the regular crowd are going to miss Conan, but Jimmy is taking over his time slot, not trying to be him. So hold your horses, Conan will be back on air in June.


I love Jimmy's nervous energy in general. He may have been a notch or two more fidgety than usual but wouldn't you be if you were in his shoes? I think the blinking, fiddling, nervous giggling is reminiscent of his SNL days, and its endearing. I love the fact that he can't make it through half of his sketches without cracking himself up.
Sure the audience participation game was stupid, and a complete waste of time. But I loved his jamming with the band and banter with the guests, especially with JT.

My warm reception of his debut has lots to do with the fact that I own the Best of Jimmy Fallon SNL dvd and that I love listening to Bathroom Wall. Jimmy brings the best of his comedic routine and personality to the set of Late Night which is why I'm excited for many more hilarious shows to come.

In the early days, Conan was the recipient of less than favorable reviews and freely admits to not feeling confident or deserving of the opportunity as a relatively unknown {freakishly pale redhead}. At least Jimmy's got his looks going for him right?! Well, now Conan is moving up in the world as an Emmy winner and hardcore funny man. So let's all back off and give Jimmy some time to adjust and make us laugh, even harder.



* This post is due in part to the fact that I will rarely watch the show live and feel horribly guilty for not doing my part to boost ratings. In attempts to maintain a healthy sleep pattern, I try to be in bed around 11. This puts me pretty much asleep by the opening monologue. Thank goodness for DVR.

2 comments:

emilie s. d. p. said...

You have to bring the Jimmy's SNL dvd with you when you come. I don't think I've seen half of the skits on there.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Jimmy (perhaps because I have a crush on him) but I think he's doing a great job. I also read that he did way better than Conan on his first night (and I adore him too). So I think everyone should just sit back, relax, and fall in love with Jimmy.