February 10, 2009

My Funny Valentine

My mom is many things-to fully do her justice I would need to write a book, a very long book. For now I'll just highlight her absolute sweetness.

If you can stroll down your local grocery store aisle and find holiday themed candy (Easter, Halloween, Valentine's & Christmas etc...) chances are my mom has sent me a package with said candy and a cute card in it.

Today I came home from work to a Valentine's package...heavens knows I need someone to watch out for me during this holiday! As I munched on some of my lovey dovey candy my mind wandered back to Valentine's Day of this past year.






I was nursing some feelings, the kind that are "not reciprocated to the same extent." Thankfully other fellows came along and provided in themselves a fun and carefree distraction. (Don't forget who we're talking about here- I'm referring to flirting only.)


Anyway this is Collins. He got me through many a long day and night of studying up on the sixth floor of the library. In an attempt to snap out of my funk I invited him to an event at the Museum of Art. There was a soiree planned to celebrate the opening of a new Victorian exhibit and I knew he could appreciate it and be good company. What I didn't know is that the event happened to be the evening of Valentine's Day. Probably would not have gone ahead and done it if I'd known that in advance of me standing in front of him, but in the end it turned out to be just fine. We met up in the library, (of course) made our way to the MOA, enjoyed some dessert and entertainment with Mitch and Emilie, (they met up with us, and I should also mention Emilie was an absolute angel to be my friend through this time given my state of mind) and then toured the new exhibit. Collins is a charmer and a very good one at that so I had a fun night.

This year I will be spending Valentine's at the mall selling deeply discounted winter sports wear . I think I'm slightly relieved.

2 comments:

emilie s. d. p. said...

Your mom is such a sweetheart! I love the fun packages she sends you. That's the kind of mom I want to be.

That MOA exhibit was cool too. I liked Collins, he was funny. It's hilarious that you invited him out on Valentines Day and didn't know it, you're like Tina Fey on 30 Rock (do you ever watch that show?). Your date definitely went better then hers.

Lauren Jayne said...

That WAS such a funny episode, man I love 30 Rock!