February 10, 2009

The A.M.


As a small child I had this poster in my bedroom. For some reason I was thinking about it the other day. I don't really know how I got it, so I called my mom to see if she remembered. Apparently a family friend gave it to me when I was about six years old. Can we say insulting....I thought I was a pleasant child??! My mom assured me that it was not meant to be a reflection of my personality. Her recollection was that this benefactor thought I looked awful serious most of the time and hardly cracked a smile. So the poster was a lighthearted jest I guess. Whatever.

These days, I prefer to think of it as the perfect representation of myself in the morning. I am not, nor have I ever been a morning person. (My upstairs roommate has yet to pick up on this.....it's completely beyond me.) I abhor waking up in the morning- not because I can't face the day or don't enjoy my job or haven't had enough sleep- I just detest getting out of bed and having to wake up. I can rationalize anything in the groggy moments just after the alarm goes off, I can even fall asleep in the shower.

So I looked up "how to be a morning person" on wikihow and learned that I should never allow myself to sleep in, I should be in bed by 9:50pm with the lights dimmed around me an hour before that. I should also blast myself with loud music in the morning and blind myself with bright lights immediately after waking. The good news is that working out in the morning is a personal preference because it would not actually reset my circadian rhythm...I'm off the hook.

I don't know about all this, but I have been thinking about how maybe the working world should just reset its circadian rhythm. Instead of everyone going to work at 8 or 9 in the morning how about the work days starts at noon or 1pm. Just a thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Mom used to accuse me of being the grumpiest person in the morning. I don't enjoy waking up a certain time, I'll get up when I'm good and ready to. It's beyond me how the rest of the world finds waking up at a certain time completely normal.

P.S. Love your new banner.

Anonymous said...

I totally remember this poster. 'It's the best!'
Janine

emilie s. d. p. said...

It's funny because I've heard you talk about how your not really a morning person before but I still can't really imagine it, you always seem to be in a good mood that I can't imagine you being anything less then your normal, happy, talkative self. I guess it's because I've never actually roomed with you so I haven't had the pleasure of interacting with you in the early morning hours.
The only problem I have with the mornings is when people are loud. I don't have a problem getting up and interacting but I definitely think there should be some rules that limit loud talking and other loud activities.