This afternoon I went in for a routine check-up with my Bishop. He is a good man and I was happy for the chance to share things that have been on my mind lately. (Don't worry, I'm not about to tell you any crazy stories of sins or anything like that!)
After being in the ward for a couple of months I have gotten used to some of his quirks; such as blatant encouragement to flirt and snuggle. I have also learned that he looks out for me due in part, to my age. The average age of the ward is about four years beyond my own. Actually, he thought there was a greater gap until he realized I wasn't fresh out of high school!
I digress....
Today the usual topics were discussed, and eventually my social life/relationship status/fliriting effort came up. He asked me point blank if I'd ever been in love.....cut to wheels spinning madly in my mind. I don't think I've even been asked this question by a girl friend. I don't really know the answer, but I think its a no. (I'd insert a joke here about my dog, but I think my mom would die.) So I told him not really. Apparently this is a problem, because he proceeded to push the option of online dating... as if his sole income depended upon it. All together, can we just say whoa?? I would have thought he was joking had he not continued to discuss pros and cons in tandem with the percentage of previous ward marriages which began as online.
* I believe that my Bishop is an inspired man. He happens to be the Dean of Religion at BYU, so he's got street cred too.
6 comments:
Are you KIDDING me?! Online dating? Umm, no thank you. Even if being in a relationship was a top priority right now for you, I will counter your bishop and advise you against online dating. It's not you, and it's certainly not the place to meet guys who deserve you - in my opinion, at least.
I've said my peace.
Please no, you're not desperate. I had a bishop that was marriage happy once, it was something he was proud of. I was happy to leave that ward single. Ha! Take that Bishop!
yes, he seems like a good man. but DANG! Sorry for all those who found their EC online, I say, not that desperate yet! I think I'd rather be single than have a profile online...
Wow safe! Online dating-bless his heart. I'm guessing that's not how he met his wife. I think you're absolutely right-focus on doing the right things and everything else will fall into place.
Holy smokes, that cracks me up. Oh Lauren, I so wish I could have seen your face during this conversation. I commend him for his effort but I'm glad you were able to politely turn down that particular advice.
I don't think you get an opinion when you call them an 'EC'
Post a Comment