November 02, 2008

Love and Marriage

I sure love a lot of people but I don't have a whole lot of experience with marriage. Last time I checked though, I am entitled to an opinion. I was recently encouraged by Robert George to share that opinion- to speak it lovingly and civilly, but also firmly and vigorously.

My opinion is devoid of legal jargon or footnotes of scientific research because I never took a Political Science class and I don't have all the answers. This does not mean that I have not read and researched Proposition Eight and protecting marriage. There are a myriad of voices out there manifesting beliefs and claims. Of all of those voices, I choose to listen to that of the Prophet, the living mouthpiece of the Lord. My opinion is fueled by my belief in the authority and truth of that voice. My opinion is not motivated by hatred, fear or ill wish on another child of God.

I believe in the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and in his living apostles who provide us with continuing revelation. This is one of the truths I believe in, perhaps one of the most important in this day and age...

The Family A Proclamation
"We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. ..

...We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."


And from one of our past Prophets, Harold B. Lee in an October 1970 conference report-

"You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It may contradict your political views. It may contradict your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life. But if you listen to these things, as if from the mouth of the Lord himself, with patience and faith, the promise is that 'the gates of hell shall not prevail against you."

I believe what the majority of Californians in 2000 voted/believed, that
"only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California." Such fundamental issues are not subject to change despite the fluctuation of the world in general. I don't believe that state laws should be able to dictate the affairs of religious agencies or charities. I don't believe that elementary schools should be able to openly promote gay lifestyles and choices in the classroom without providing the parents with notification or options for their students.

I do believe that God loves all of his children equally and has provided a plan for each of them, supporting Propostion Eight is part of His plan.

6 comments:

Darryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darryl said...

False choices: the school event is in violation of CA law that gives parents to right to Opt their children out of any events or discussions that violate religious values and beliefs. Prop 8 wouldn't change this event at all as the Opt out option would still be available and this event focuses on alternative lifestyles in general, not same sex marriage.
The adoption issue is moot as in California, state law already gives all domestic partners the same civil rights as married couples. This applies to hetero- and homo-sexual domestic partners. Prop 8 wouldn't impact this because even if a couple couldn't marry, as domestic partners, they would still have the same civil rights, including adoption, so if CA was going to attempt to force adoption agencies to place kids with same sex couples, it would be based on domestic partnership laws, not same sex marriages.

You don't have dislike Prop 8, but support it for moral reasons, not for fallacious propaganda.

I hope this posts correctly this time, all that French threw me off!

Shannon said...

Amen. The points you brought up - spiritually founded - are the most valid and convincing ones I've seen with all the opinions out there on Prop 8. Not that I was already convinced... Let's pray others, especially our fellow Saints in CA, can stand fast to the same morals and values...

emilie s. d. p. said...

Beautifully worded! I couldn't agree more and this is the main reason why I stand where I stand.
I LOVE the quote from Harold B. Lee. It moved me :o)

Lauren Jayne said...

Thanks for the info Darryl. Like I said, I don't understand all the legal ramifications, but I do understand where I sit because of my personal beliefs on the moral issue at stake. The crux of my opinion is based on my belief that marriage is ordained of god between man and woman, not propaganda.

Kern County Kids Read said...

Thanks for the comment on our site. Early results are just now coming back and right now it looks like Prop. 8 is winning (for passing) -- yeah!

I would like to comment on Darryl's comment though... Many people do believe they can opt out their children under CA law. There is a provision that does require this. Unfortunately, there was a similar provision allowing parents to opt out their children in Massachusetts and the courts overturned it and ruled that parents cannot opt out their children because it would not be in the best interest of the child or the other children in the school (if too many parents kept their children home it would disrupt the school instruction in the classroom and would imply discrimination if children were kept home on days when certain subjects were taught). One father who wanted to opt his child out was actually arrested on school premises for demanding notification so he could opt out his child. In the Massachusetts case we are referring to, teachers were not providing parents with advance notification of homosexual relationships in the classroom and parents found out about it after the fact when their child came home discussing some of the books his teacher read in the class (you can read more about it on the ProtectMarriage.com web site). It was after parents found out they weren't being notified to opt their children out they ended up having to sue to enforce their opt out right and lost in court as said above.

Additionally, here in California some public charter schools were having "tolerance" days and children were being asked to sign a card stating they would refrain from using derogatory language in describing homosexual, bisexual, and transgender relationships and people without parental notification. I think the message not to use derogatory language about others is good, but I don't agree with exposing 5-year-olds to topics like that period. Also parents found out accidentally that schools here were sponsoring coming out days and allie weeks without notifying them (they went to the school and happened to see posters up advertising the events).

As Darryl says though- opposing Prop 8 on moral grounds is always a good reason too.
Thanks for your support!