My favorite day in Rome might just have been our first day, we had a few hours to navigate through the neighborhood to find a nearby grocery store, then we met Mark J. at the Piazza del Popolo. We did quite a comprehensive city stroll that lead us past the Fontana de Trevi and the Pantheon. In addition to the iconic landmarks we had our first taste of gelato on the house.
Each day brought new and incredible sites, the wonders are endless, I felt like I could walk around this city forever. Practically each night we went out and walked through the heart of Rome to find gelato and just soak in the atmosphere. I always felt safe because of the sheer number of people on the streets at any given time. Unfortunately a number of these people were pushy men selling sunglasses and bags and roses. I must admit they were not as bad as the Florentines but you couldn't have convinced us of that at the time. I seem to remember at one point being asked where I was from...my response quickly became a classic. Due to some mixture of my frustration and disinterest in entertaining the creep-sters I told them I couldn't remember where I was from. On a side note we all changed our names and told people we were 32 also.
Perhaps gelato induced euphoria has tainted my memory, but Rome was a bundle of fun. We walked for miles with Mark J. and sometimes came back to the apartment to nap but for the most part we sought out more museums and galleries than were on our itinerary. The food was fantastic. I remember sitting in our Athens hotel the night before we left and just gushing to one another about how much we were looking forward to pizza, pasta and gelato.
There are definitely things that our time limit would not permit us to do, but what we saw was great and I love love loved it.
4 comments:
friend, i love your blog!@! i'm glad you found me...of course put me on your list! hope you are loving all your travels..i am jelous!
I really hope that I get to go to Rome at some point in my life. And hopefully it's not when I'm like 60 and have to be pushed in a wheelchair or something!
So I'm confused, who is Mark J.?
Ahh... Roma. Such a big city with so many wonderful treats around every corner. I didn't know you got to go to the grocery store there! I would've told you what great foods you had to try! I'm just going to tell you AGAIN how happy it makes me that you got to be in Italy. Man, I love that country.
Gelato!! Yum!
Post a Comment