July 17, 2008

The One and Only

I could not resist usurping these pictures from their rightful owner when she so kindly posted them on facebook. Thank you Jackie!!! Blogging world, meet MJJ. That is how he signs his email. We also know him as Mark, Professor Johnson, Mark J. -my personal favorite, PJ, MaJayJay- another personal fav, and last but not least MJ.
Cramped in an elevator with some of the arties...we saw that expression a lot!

This is a good man, the head of BYU's fine Art History Department, lover of all things Byzantine, adorer of ancient and classical art, appreciator of gelato, fan of mosaics, speaker of Italian and the mac daddy of study abroad directors.

This is a perfect shot of him because he ALWAYS touches his face like that... oh and he loves to stroke his own hair too!

I have had Mark J. for numerous classes, he also served as my mentor for my ORCA grant as well as my senior thesis. Doing a study abroad with him was the best- as Nacho would say. I have always admired his vast knowledge and incredible retention skills in lectures and traveling through Europe with him opened my eyes even more to this academic machine!! In each country we visited he just spouted like a fountain of knowledge, every church and piece of art was clearly explained and expounded upon.

Secretly I am jealous of all who captured pictures of him. I was most unsuccessful, probably because I didn't try. It wasn't until I stopped walking around with him for hours on end everyday that I realized what a huge part of our trip he was!

PS I have been home a month tomorrow....ay ya ya!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Whoa! Time flies! I just love all of your beautiful pictures from your trip, Lauren. Those ones you just put on facebook are lovely. More specifically, you look lovely in your pictures. The European air/scenery works for you. Must be in your blood or something...

So I'm having a REEEALLY long and slow day at work today. 9 hours straight. I'm trying to drag out the things I have to do, but I can only do that for so long... HELP!

Anonymous said...

Oh the memories that face induces.