July 30, 2008

DOH

Every once in a while I fail in my duties as a reference desk assistant. It is so simple to miss something in the catalog or easily become flustered by attractive patrons who are staring at you while your brain is quickly trying to process their query.

Today I have failed the attractive man going to Mexico and South America. He came in looking for travel books to help plan his trip. The ones he found were decades old and obviously not of much use. I explained to him that we have updated versions of travel guides in our reference collection. Now imagine me frantically searching for a call number whilst juggling conversation with this sparkly eyed chap. I gave up trying to find an exact call number and ushered him over to the general vicinity of the books. I immediately saw Fodor's Morocco, Portugal, Hawaii but no Mexico or South America. I hopped over to the next aisle willing the books to appear but they did not.

I left him momentarily and hurried back to the desk to do another search. The catalog kept bringing updated editions with the most recent being 2000. Glumly I trudged back over to him and trying to maintain eye contact, I explained that we did not appear to have more up to date books for all countries as I had previously assured him. He was relaxed about it and mentioned something about Borders. Boo. Seconds after he left what did I come upon but a 2008 edition of the travel guides. I yanked them off the shelf and jetted out of the stacks to find that he was no where to be seen.

I HATE you library catalog. I was so clearly spelling everything right and instinctively knew that we should have guides for those countries. Curse my swooning and flustered haze. I really get frustrated when I fail at my job...I totally could have helped this guy if only the catalog and my genetic make up would have cooperated. Attractive man, wherever you are, I'm sorry I failed you. I hope you can still plan a good trip without having to pay for those books!


I'd feel like trash today if I hadn't totally found two books for this other girl who was convinced they were not there!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

I hear that. I can't answer the majority of research questions when I'm at the ref desk at my library--true, the idiots are normally in the wrong place--but it's demoralizing not to be able to give the right answer. And in the quagmire of federal records, there seldom IS a right answer.

Count yourself lucky to have attractive patrons, though. I have handlebar moustache guy.

Have you thought about getting an MLS?

Anonymous said...

Dang it! Though as stated you probably feel awesome after helping that girl find the books she believed were not in existence. Attractive people and stupid people can realy ruin a day's work for you.

emilie s. d. p. said...

SO funny!!! That stink's. There's nothing worse then assuring someone of something only to have to come back and tell them you were mistaken (and then find out you weren't mistaken at all) and the fact that he was good looking makes it all so must worse!!!
I hope today you have lots of luck and are successfully helpful!!

emilie s. d. p. said...

By the way, I LOVE the quote on the side of your blog by Ranier Maria Rilke!

BrookeJean said...

First of all .. this blog made my day. I think it was the image you put in my head of you staring at a really cute guy trying to form words. Anyway, second of all ... in response to your comment on my blog ... We live in Salt Lake right by the UofU so it's actually really close. If you ever need a place to stay before catching an early morning flight ... call me! :)