February 01, 2008

A Well Deserved Chuckle

This morning in senior thesis class the most jovial of all the art history professors lead us through an undeniably obnoxious discussion on Freudian and Lacan theory as it relates to art. I'm not a fan of that psycho-sexual garbage. I refuse to acknowledge that our sexuality is such an all encompassing notion that it is the driving force behind everything we do.

In general terms our discussion included various reception theories, addressing the role of the viewer, and all the contexts and background that the both the artist and the viewer bring to the table. Somehow our discussion lead us to James McNeil Whistler's Symphony in White, no. 1.


The lecturing professor informed us that in the 80's the church adopted this painting as the cover and poster child for the Young Women's manual. At face value that is of minimal interest. When additional information is accessed and one learns that the ethereal subject matter was actually the mistress of the artist the situation becomes comical. At least it did to me. Moral of the story, a little research never hurt anyone.

PS If you don't believe me, click here. Unfortunately I couldn't track down a visual of the manual, believe me I tried, but this article delves into the identity of the woman.

On the old record player: Talk, Coldplay

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Heyyy. I just saw that painting on Thursday at the National Gallery.

emilie s. d. p. said...

That's insane. There's always more to a painting then meets the eye! It does look familiar like a typical YW themed photo of a girl in all white. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.