February 01, 2008

Joyeux Février

Please allow me to share some random thoughts on the month. First, I must start with a personal anecdote.

In my family, and I think this may be a British thing too, we have a tradition regarding the first of each month. Before noon on the day, there was a race to see who could do the following first. Approach someone and say the following, "A pinch (pinch them) and a punch (punch them) for the first of the month, and NO returns (meaning they cannot do it back to you). My mom was usually champion because she knew what day it was.

I did that to one of my coworkers today and he cried sexual harassment. He was kidding, but still, it kind of ruined the fun of me actually remembering to do it.




-Black history month...I'll apologize in advance for any inappropriate comments I may make.

-A great excuse for elementary schoolers to make crafty boxes employing glitter, ribbons, and lace to the extreme.

-Library Lovers month, American Heart month, National Lactose Intolerance Awareness month and Pet Dental Health month (thank you Wikipedia)

-The month for people in stable relationships to try and figure out what to give each other, and for those who are not to probably consume A LOT of candy.

-Mud month according to the Anglo-Saxon term for February.

-A good month for florists and chocolatiers.




On the old record player:
Come As You Are Nirvana

3 comments:

Shannon said...

who knew there were all those fun holidays packed in the shortest month of the year? I think the best holiday in February is my birthday though. by far. So you banner didn't come up? - I was so anxious to see it! Thanks for tonight. I had fun sharing free ice cream and laughing at the wilting flowers comment with you. Love ya!

emilie s. d. p. said...

I love you're little British tradition. I wish I could have been there to see your coworkers reaction!

Anonymous said...

Black history month--I know you probably thought I'd have something to say about it because I'm black, but I don't. Nope. Nothing.
I wish I were British.