This is not me being critical. If I were being critical then I would be a hypocrite. I am often times guilty of being a music snob myself, but this is just me wondering about something I truly do not understand. So feel free readers to educate me.
I do not understand the mentality of people who are disappointed when they hear that a new and upcoming artist has “sold out.” Here is an example to help explain what I am referring to.
I work with a guy who had me check out a new and relatively unknown British artist on myspace. I did and I liked what I heard. Over the Christmas break I was in a Gap changing room and I heard one of his songs come on the store sound system. Because I like the song I was happy enough to hear it. When I told my coworker that I had heard the artist in a Gap store, he said I had basically ruined his day.
I’m sure that was an exaggeration but I do know that he was disappointed to learn that this artist had gone commercial.
I appreciate artists “going commercial.” That is how I find out about most of the new music I get into. I’d say right up there with recommendations from friends, hearing music on television shows or in movies sparks interest for me. Grey’s Anatomy has a great music team behind the show. Each season has a great soundtrack with lots of music on it that I have never heard before because the artists are just starting out. In fact that same day I was in the Gap I heard another song that I liked but was not familiar with. I went home and googled the lyrics and discovered a new love.
So why does this frustrate some music lovers? I do not get it. Musicians need to make a living. Getting their music on television and movies is a great way to promote themselves and attract new fans like me.
The images from top to bottom are: Just Jack, Kate Havnevik, and Jack Penate.
No comments:
Post a Comment