I love BYU for the same reason I love airports. In most major airports you can find a wonderfully entertaining conglomerate of people of different cultures and personalities who do just about anything and everything under the sun. Now BYU of course is not nearly as diverse but the student body doesn't require racial or culture diversity in order to provide ample opportunity for people watching and unintentional comedic behavior. I am continually fascinated by the things I can observe in a short period of time that just tickle my fancy.
I'll share a few gems that I observed recently.
-The skinniest little preppy freshman boy that you ever did see was in front of me in the cougareat today. He got in line with a bag of gummy worms. Whilst in line he traded his gummy worms for two of those nasty "fruit" (I beg to differ) pies instead. Maybe he thought they had actual nutritional value. A few steps closer to the checkout he decided the pies were not enough to satisfy his hankering for sugar and useless calories. He grabbed two Laffy Taffy rope things to top it off. What a healthy lunch.
-I pride myself in being able to pick out the non Art History majors in my classes. If you are a Visual/Studio Arts major you normally stick out like a sore thumb because you are loud and outspoken about your liberal opinions and your valid comments are usually limited to things like color pigment and brush strokes. Another factor that makes you easy to pick out are the clothes you wear. Case in point, this crazy red head in my American Art class wore vibrant purple spandex pants the other day. Think about your mom's old aerobics videos from the eighties and then throw up on that. They were bright purple and screaming out loud considering she wore them with a plain white t-shirt. Oh bless.
-I love the elderly generation, I pretty much have a place in my heart for every Grandpa out there. I do not hesitate to gawk at some of the fashions I see the Grandmas in though. An older female professor walked out of the HFAC the other day as I was on my way to the MOA and everything about her ensemble from the ankles up was just dandy however upon closer inspection my eyes bugged out upon sight of her super shiny metallic silver clogs. Yes you read that right, someone in this world owns and wears silver clogs and not as part of a circus act.
- I'm also a big fan of the avid singer who couldn't care less that he or she is walking outside as in the public sphere and happens to be singing most audibly whatever song may be in their head at the time. People....you shouldn't do this, if you must get yourself over to the HFAC where all the other music nerds wander around.
2 comments:
Every single one of these had me laughing out loud. I so wish I could have seen the clogs!!!
And the little freshman boy sadly reminded me of a younger Mitch who can still to this day live off of butter, sour cream, nut rolls, and chocolate and never gain an ounce.
Not to mention the constant singing aloud! Why does it seem like a good third of the people on campus wish their life was a musical??? I'll never know.
Good news, I saw someone wearing purple cowboy boots today, lilac purple.....barf!
Post a Comment