Whilst babysitting my nephew a few weeks ago I was looking for something to watch after he had settled down for the night and came across the latest episode of Ace of Cakes. This particular show is about a chef named Duff Goldman who is the owner and chief baker at Charm City Cakes.
They make the most amazingly creative and often outlandish fondant cakes tailor made to the personality and interests of the individual for whom it is designed. I've seen cakes modeled after famous architecture, the Death Star, vehicles and hobbies. He also creates incredibly ornate and elaborate elegant cakes as well. The detail is astounding and the subject matter continues to leave me in shock and awe. These bakers are SO RAD!!Apparently I've had a latent passion for the world of fondant cakes. The Food Network has another show that I am minutely obsessed with involving cake decorating. Things get a little intense when I watch this one because it is a themed cooking challenge with a set amount of time and limited resources that are on site. Though many episodes do involve cake competitions the show also features different types of cooking challenges. The Disney Princess Cake, the castle themed cake, and the ultimate wedding cake challenges have been my favorite. Honestly the designs they come up with are insanely fabulous and the fact that they have such a time limit makes this good old fashioned competition that much more impressive.
1 comment:
I believe the Food Network to be the greatest channel on television. My roommates and I can't get enough of Iron Chef America, though after watching Bobby Flay win for the last two episodes, I feel like he needs to chill out and give someone else a chance.
Fondant cakes, though BRILLIANT to look at, don't taste very good. I had no idea this show existed, and now my TiVo will react accordingly. Awesome!
Post a Comment