April 26, 2010

Museo Nacional del Prado

The Deposition
Roger Van der Weyden

I had the pleasure and privilege of visiting El Prado and viewing this painting in person. It is a sight to behold. The colors alone are incredible, so vibrant and saturated. The pathos delivered by the artist is another story entirely.

This past week I've been studying an address by Elder McConkie on the atonement.

As I sat in Border's tonight flipping through an art book, I came across the painting and had a bit of an embarrassing public display of emotion. The talk and the painting seemed to meld in my mind. In Elder McConkie's closing remarks he states,

I am one of his witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks
in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears.
But I shall not know any better then than I know now
that he is God's Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer,
and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way.



I am thankful for the gift of the atonement and hope to come to a greater understanding of the blessing as I more fully utilize it in my life.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

First of all, thank you. Beyond the divine lessons in this post, I love that you were taught so powerfully in two different forms.

And secondly, I love that you often find a quiet retreat in the book store.

Love you!

seashmore said...

I had a similar experience while reading a book. I love art, in all it's forms. And that I'm not the only one.