November 12, 2009

Where's Waldo...and Wanda too

When did blogging become such a chore?

Probably when I started getting up at 6:15 and having super full and exhausting days.
This past week I could not be bothered to dedicate any real energy to blogging.

First order of business, the Turkey Trot is done and dusted. Our costumes were a hit, everyone chuckled and wanted pictures of us. They did not however vote us winners of the best costume of the night award, that went to the couple who came as a smore. Think brown outfit, white outfit and two giant cardboard squares on their back. It really was hilarious.

We had fun eating dinner and seeing what the other couples came up with for costumes. Some of the other memorable ideas were the ugly christmas sweater duo, mario and princess peach, bonnie and clyde, brad and angelina, ninja turtles, and the bishop's wife who dressed up as bishop!

After dinner we decorated cakes as a couple. The theme was transportation and we struggled to formulate anything creative. After a few failed ideas I realized that Andrew is a perfectionist and we were getting nowhere. Reminiscent of those last minute paper writing days at school, I came up with a plan to make an abstract representation of a car. Basically we threw a bit of everything on there and called it good. It met the theme requirement and we put a little waldo on there to tie it all together. Needless to say, we did not win the cake decorating contest either.

I'm sure you are all dying to hear how I managed the portion of the evening devoted to dancing. Plenty of people put the pressure on but I stayed strong with my fellow wall dwellers despite being physically assaulted more than once! Not my finest hour for sure but I did manage to dance a few slow songs like a dutiful date. Slow dancing is much more fun when you charge around a la Joe & Laurie in Little Women style or play tag with other couples.

I managed to escape the dance with a few shreds of my dignity, the only real embarrassment came during a slow dance. A certain other couple rammed into us from behind and it took me by surprise to say the least. I let out the most awful noise I'm sure, and then dissolved into hysterical laughter because I was so affected by it! Not the most serious slow dance that night. I'm glad I went and I cannot wait to see the ridiculous prom type picture taken at the beginning of the night. Think backdrop, bales of hay, fake leaves, and ridiculous poses, sure to be a riot!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your costumes looked great! I love the picture of you guys hiding behind the punch table. I'm glad you stuck to your guns and avoided the dancing--way to go!

Molly said...

I wish I could've heard that sound...

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing as Molly, but was plenty entertained by the sound I made in my head when I read that.
I love that you are the non-dancing, awkward situation-handling girl you are in these social situations. I alwas felt as if I ws the only sane one in the room during these kinds of things when I didn't really want to dance...one of the many reasons I like our friendship.

C&C said...

"physically assaulted". I laughed out loud at pretty much all of this post. i love to dance but slow dancing (before i met craig)? ugh. i feel your pain.

Shannon said...

Your comments (and this post) are hilarious. I was hoping for a picture of the cake! You're going to post a picture of the gingerbread treasure box, right?

*Thanks for talking to my weary soul yesterday. Sorry I was a little blah. You did convince me though to rent North and South as soon as possible. Love ya!

emilie s. d. p. said...

I love the pictures (and your glasses!). I can just imagine the sound you made after being rammed into by another couple. Just thinking about it is cracking me up.

I'm glad you didn't succumb to the pressure of dancing. Slow dances are alright but anything fast is a no go.

Can't wait to see the prom-style photo!

Mum said...

Hope to see the 'prom style' photo this week?? Your costume really turned out great. Glad you went=)