September 03, 2009

Art & Bakeries

Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without it.
Robert Motherwell


A painting, like a cupcake, is completely unnecessary. Man can survive without either one.

But what man would want to?

Sure, if I never entered a bakery again, my waist line would thank me. Tell me though, can you eat a cupcake without smiling and feeling pure joy with each bite? Life is about more than making sure you get your fruits and veges.




A good painting or piece of art can be didactic or captivating to the eye. Art can inspire you and remind you that life is about more than just you.

I came to the realization that in order for me to be happy living in a city, it needs to have a decent museum and a good bakery. Thank goodness Omaha has both!






PS Don't you just love Van Gogh's Tulip Fields?

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Two of my favorite things as well. And I LOVE the Tulip Fields painting. My parents had a print of it hanging in my home as I grew up and therefore there are many feelings attached to it. When you come to town I'm going to treat you to a little something from my favorite bakery. Get excited!

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emilie s. d. p. said...

You'll have to take me to the art museum and the bakery when I come up there (hopefully next month when we have our ward temple trip)!

Jordanlz said...

what bakery are you talking about?

Darcy said...

I do LOVE that picture I have never seen it before!

Molly said...

Mmm, cupcakes...

I saw a Van Gogh calendar the other day and it reminded me of study abroad (as so many things do). I don't know if you were privileged to hear this comment, but I recall someone in the group asking MJ something along the lines of, "What made Van Gogh so great, anyway?" I'm thinking, I'm not even an art history major and I know that was a really stupid comment.

P.S. I'm glad we got to talk today. Love you!