July 18, 2009

St. Baldrick's Foundation

Yesterday I went with Janine to her hospital, the Nebraska Medical Center, where we were able to be a part of the annual St. Baldrick's day with some of her colleagues and patients. This foundation is active across the globe, the goal is to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancer research. The foundation relies heavily upon volunteer support, as the primary way of raising money is through those who shave their heads.

Two years ago Janine raised money by shaving her head bald. This year several more participants at her hospital, including doctors and nurses that she works with, volunteered to shave their heads and pledge their support. In addition to the staff, there were many families and friends there who participated on behalf of siblings and loved ones.

Let me tell you, it was quite moving to sit with Janine and observe her darling little two year old patient with her family. Her big brothers and her parents, all with freshly shaven heads, are fighting such a tough battle.

It was exactly what I needed to experience on a day where I could not stop obsessing about the tasks ahead of me. If you would like a little perspective boost, a local news station ran the following video (can you spy Janine and I) and article on the event.

3 comments:

Darryl said...

Why no pictures of Lauren getting her head shaved?

Lauren Jayne said...

Yeah, maybe if I had a personal connection or something!

emilie s. d. p. said...

What a great thing to be a part of. I can't imagine seeing those little ones with cancer. I'm sure it puts everything is so much better perspective. I'm still in awe of Janine for shaving her head two years ago!