
I do a reading group at work with a handful of third graders and I'm not going to lie, sometimes they are a handful! We just finished reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes as well as There's A Boy In the Girl's Bathroom. Today I picked out some new books for us to read and discuss. One, that I'm particularly excited about is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I'm considering eliminating the usual voting procedure and forcing them to read it instead of the other book I brought to give them options.
As a child, I loved Roald Dahl books. Some of my favorites were Matilda, The Twits, Witches, The B.F.G., Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and James and the Giant Peach. I thouroughly enjoy movie adaptaions of many of these books too.
What are some of your favorite childhood reads?
3 comments:
Are You There God? Its Me, Margaret.
Yeah, not really... I remember reading a lot of those Sideways Stories from Wayside School. Remember those?? I read a ton more, I just can't think of any right now.
I loved reading when I was little... now all I read is US Weekly. Which proves I just get more uneducated as I get older.
I love the Giving Tree and basically another other Shel Silverstein book/poems like Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic.
I also remember liking the Ramona books by Beverly Cleaver.
The Cay and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle are some of my all time favorite books from my youth too.
I struggled with reading when I was younger and didnt enjoy it until 5th or 6th grade. I loved reading Bridge to Terabithia (mostly because my mom would read a chapter and then I would read one, good thing she was persistant). The first book I really remember loving that I read on my own was The Man Who Loved Clowns by June Rae Wood. I think I cried really hard in both of those books though! Luckily after a few rough years reading became an addiction (even though I am still and exctuciatingly slow reader)
Post a Comment