February 27, 2009

Santa Maria Del Carmine

I got a letter from Thailand this past week. I already love getting missionary letters, but Brianna is one of the happiest people so it was a double shot of joy reading a letter from her.
May 2008, Florence Italy

Her eternal sunshine makes this picture an ironic one to include because we are both pouting profusely. We shared a great excitement upon our arrival in Florence that was not even dampened by the rain. Brianna and I looked forward to visiting the Brancacci Chapel, a very well known chapel just off the Arno. The chapel is located inside the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine and is famous because it houses one of the greatest fresco cycles of the Renaissance. The most well known of the frescos is Masaccio's Tribute Money which I studied along with the rest of the cycle in my Italian Renaissance class. The style isn't anything I would want to have hainging in my home but I love to see the advances in perspective and naturalness. The theme of the chapel is also fascinating to study.

Back to the whole excitement thing. We were thrilled to find out from Mark J. where the chapel was located and set out during our free time one afternoon to find it. Despite a torrential downpour and lack of substantial footwear we traipsed across the city and found our beloved church. Bummer of my life though, it was just closing for the day {early I might add} and we were leaving the next day for Milan. We stood on the steps of the church not believing our bad luck when Molly asked if we wanted a picture outside of the place. I wish I could say we somehow got in or they changed their minds and knowing our circumstances let us in but they didn't and we walked away super sad.

Good thing we went to the Bargello and the Uffizi later that same day. Nothing like an art history high to get you through hard times. I won't mention that Donatello's David was laying face down in scaffolding undergoing some restoration work at the overpriced Bargello. You win some, you lose some right?!

PS I think that actual point of this post was to tell you that Brianna said there are elephants romping through the streets and that she is doing well.

PPS If anyone reading this (who knows Brianna) would like her address, I would be happy to pass it along.

2 comments:

Mallory said...

I would LOVE Brianna's address! I remember you guys going to do this, sad day. I'm not sure it compares to the sadness I felt on that dreadful Monday when mjj failed to check that the Musee d'Orsay was CLOSED and we MISSED it for time and all ETERNITY.

emilie s. d. p. said...

Elephants romping around the streets! That is insanely awesome.