Yesterday as I sat through the first hour of church I realized that I felt horrible. Things were throbbing and hurting enough that I wasn't focusing on the lesson or anything else besides my pain and discomfort. (No need to be alarmed I'm fine, just a big baby sometimes.)
I decided to just walk home after the first hour of church concluded. Anyone who was in Provo yesterday knows that it was snowing, a lot, and the wet kind. Sans umbrella I started trekking down the hill from campus towards my apartment. My hair and jacket quickly reached their saturation point but I didn't want to pull anyone else away from church so I kept walking.
As I was crossing the street a car pulled up next to me with the window down. The drive leaned over and asked if he could drive me somewhere. I hesitated, and thought for a minute and then felt good about it so I jumped in. We introduced ourselves and chatted for the few minutes it took to get to my complex, where I thanked him profusely for the ride, to which he replied that it was his pleasure.

I know it was just a simple deed, but he could have easily driven by as most other cars did. I'm thankful he stopped though, and more for the experience than for the warm dry ride home. About a month ago, I had a much less pleasant experience with a guy friend that really shattered the notion of chivalry for me. So thank you Jay, for reaffirming in my mind that there are still good natured gentlemen out there who do kind things without the hope of personal gain.
I decided to just walk home after the first hour of church concluded. Anyone who was in Provo yesterday knows that it was snowing, a lot, and the wet kind. Sans umbrella I started trekking down the hill from campus towards my apartment. My hair and jacket quickly reached their saturation point but I didn't want to pull anyone else away from church so I kept walking.
As I was crossing the street a car pulled up next to me with the window down. The drive leaned over and asked if he could drive me somewhere. I hesitated, and thought for a minute and then felt good about it so I jumped in. We introduced ourselves and chatted for the few minutes it took to get to my complex, where I thanked him profusely for the ride, to which he replied that it was his pleasure.

I know it was just a simple deed, but he could have easily driven by as most other cars did. I'm thankful he stopped though, and more for the experience than for the warm dry ride home. About a month ago, I had a much less pleasant experience with a guy friend that really shattered the notion of chivalry for me. So thank you Jay, for reaffirming in my mind that there are still good natured gentlemen out there who do kind things without the hope of personal gain.
On the old record player: She, Elvis Costello
4 comments:
that's cute! and i like your picture. and thank you jay, for not taking advantage of my dear friend!
Impressive. And good for you being willing to take his offer and therefore further encourage such acts of kindness (although I don't recommend that you always get in cars with strange boys :o)
That's a really neat experience. Thanks for sharing.
Don't ever let mom read this entry, I got in so much trouble when I hitched a ride from a guy I rear-ended!
Janine
Post a Comment