Loyal readers I need your help. I don't know how to say my own name, and that's not good.
On our way back from Vegas (trip post in the works) yesterday we made a pit stop in St. George to meet up with another Lauren. This Lauren is a friend/ former roommate/ sister of the group I went to Vegas with and she is entering the MTC on Wednesday.
Being in the back of the car with this Lauren for a few hours accentuated one of my neurosis. When I moved to Utah, and only when I moved to Utah people started asking me how I pronounce my name. Is it pronounced LAUren or is it LOren. I hope my playing around with the font makes the point I am trying to make.
The first time someone asked me this I was weirded out. I had never been asked this question before so I had no idea what they were talking about. My name of course is spelled Lauren but apparently I have grown up pronouncing it the ugly way. This is the ugly way because it is more masculine and occurs as a result of a lazy mouth I think.
I don't want my name to be pronounced the ugly, lesser, marked way. I want it to sound pretty. In the car last night the two Lauren's names were pronounced differently. Unconsciously when I say my name it comes out the LOren way. I can't hardly send a memo out to people telling them I pronounce my own name incorrectly, nor can I manage to pronounce my own name correctly.
On our way back from Vegas (trip post in the works) yesterday we made a pit stop in St. George to meet up with another Lauren. This Lauren is a friend/ former roommate/ sister of the group I went to Vegas with and she is entering the MTC on Wednesday.
Being in the back of the car with this Lauren for a few hours accentuated one of my neurosis. When I moved to Utah, and only when I moved to Utah people started asking me how I pronounce my name. Is it pronounced LAUren or is it LOren. I hope my playing around with the font makes the point I am trying to make.
The first time someone asked me this I was weirded out. I had never been asked this question before so I had no idea what they were talking about. My name of course is spelled Lauren but apparently I have grown up pronouncing it the ugly way. This is the ugly way because it is more masculine and occurs as a result of a lazy mouth I think.
I don't want my name to be pronounced the ugly, lesser, marked way. I want it to sound pretty. In the car last night the two Lauren's names were pronounced differently. Unconsciously when I say my name it comes out the LOren way. I can't hardly send a memo out to people telling them I pronounce my own name incorrectly, nor can I manage to pronounce my own name correctly.
On the old record player: Pictures of You, The Cure
4 comments:
I say LOren. It takes less effort and I don't think it sounds ugly. My middle name is Laura and I say LO. but my parents say LA. whatever.
Hmm, you pose an interesting question. I don't really know what to tell you. Except that practice makes perfect--I guess if you start walking around saying your name "the pretty way" in your head, it'll eventually come out that way. But I'm not sure. I think that depending on where in the country you are it'll be pronounced one way or the other. Sorry not particulary encouraging. :)
I like the LOren way! I think the LAUren way is prissy and unnecessary. I like them both but LOren's way better :o) Or maybe I'm just a lazy talker.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I always heard you say your name LAUren not LOren. I have the same problem with my last name though...it took me a while to get used to saying it correctly, and people still mispronounce it ALL THE TIME so that doesn't help me any :)
Post a Comment