February 14, 2008

Versatile

Today in the House of Learning Lecture I attended the lecturer, Terry Olson of the Department of Home and Family Life included some clips from Apollo 13 in his presentation.

The other night, upon returning home I curled up on the couch, embraced being sick and watched You've Got Mail. I adore that movie. I can still appreciate Meg Ryan in this role because it was pre- plastic surgery/ infidelity / Russell Crowe phase. It is such a sweet movie and I just love Tom Hanks in it.

These two experiences reminded me just how much I enjoy Tom Hanks as an actor. I value the roles he accepts and think he does a wonderful job playing a wide range of characters. My roommate asked me who I would be in a movie with if I could choose three actors. I don't remember who I said but I do recall her mentioning Tom Hanks as one of her top picks. At the time I was somewhat befuddled because I thought we were objectifying actors and talking about looks!


My top three Tom Hanks movies in no particular order are:



You've Got Mail


Big

A League of Their Own

Finishing close behind would be a whole host of others including but not limited to: The Polar Express, That Thing You Do, Philadelphia and Catch Me If You Can.


On the old record player: You know the noise you hear when you put a seashell to your ear, that is what I hear right now playing in my head which feels like the size of a hot air balloon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that you're sick--I'm so sorry. I feel your pain. I do enjoy Tom Hanks but I'm not going to lie, I can't stand "You've Got Mail". I definietly pick Sleepless in Seattle over that. That's just my person preference though. Call me if you need something, anything.

emilie s. d. p. said...

I just watched Big recently, it amazes me how long he's been acting and how he basically still looks the same.
I'm glad you posted a picture of A League of Their Own, I loved that movie growing up! Maybe we should watch that for our next movie/card making extravaganza.

Anonymous said...

You've got mail is one of my favorites. Along with One Fine Day.. but you already know that :) Tom Hanks is wonderful, but George Clooney is sexy.

C&C said...

i lOVE A League of Their Own! I also love the part in you've got mail where she takes her dog out for a walk and "Dreams" by the Cranberries starts playing. I don't know what it is, I just love it. Hence, I put the song on my blog playlist. I hope your head deflates soon.

Shannon said...

TERRY OLSON?! I wish I could've gone to that lecture!! How was it? What did he talk about? He has got to be one of my most favorite professors of all time. His class changed my life. I know he wasn't the point of your blog, but that little point made me oh so happy. Apollo 13 was my Dad's favorite movie for about 2 years. If I remember correctly, we watched it EVERY night for those 2 years. Or at least it felt that way.
So I hope you don't have the horrible flu going around. I'll give you call to make sure you're alive and well.
Love ya!