February 10, 2008

Opposition


Though I would not peg the Italian Renaissance as my personal favorite style, I cannot deny a strong interest in much of the art from this time period. This painting of the Expulsion by Masaccio is part of a fresco cycle done for a private chapel in the fifteenth century. I like this particular panel of Adam and Eve so much that I have a button on my backpack featuring a close up of their anguished faces.

Today in Temple Prep. we discussed the fall and why it is necessary. This is an interesting topic from a religious vantage point and as an art historian. Depictions of Eve as an evil temptress run rampant. Eve didn’t ruin everything though, the fall was necessary. The Fall brought about agency, the ability to procreate and the ability to experience joy. We know that opposition must needs be in all things, the joy was only possible because of the pain, sadness and sorrow.

Masaccio’s Expulsion is so incredible to me because of the great attention to detail. The emotional and psychological turmoil is painfully rendered. Looking at this image, I am reminded that experiencing that extreme pain in this life is what makes it possible to experience an equally intense joy.

This past week as I was contemplating the indelible changes that occurred one year ago in my life, I received some council in the form of a devotional by Elder Bruce C. Hafen. He shared some words by Elder Maxwell who said that if we are serious about our discipleship, Jesus will eventually request of us to do those things which are the most difficult for us to do. Sometimes the best people have the worst experiences because they are the most ready to learn.

Elder Hafen also quoted Robert Browning who asserted that “the skills of human growth are best learnt slowly and against great difficulty.” Tribulation is a part of the divine plan, not meant to wear us down but to refine us and produce a polished product.

On the old record player: Prelude From Cello Suite no. 1, Bach

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful. I don't particulary like Italian Renaissance art either, but I do enjoy the religious subject matter. It's always neat when what you're learning at school enrichs your gospel understanding.

C&C said...

i just learned about this work! even though i will never know as much about art as you do, let me be excited that i recognized it anyway!

Shannon said...

You have so much wisdom and faith Lauren. I love this post and how you expressed what you are learning and experiencing and what you love so eloquently. I hope you're having a good day...

emilie s. d. p. said...

This post made me emotional.
Lauren, I hope you already know this but I look up to you so much! You are such an amazing example of strength in the gospel and in so many other walks of life too. I know for a fact that in times when you have felt the weakest you have given strength to others just from your example.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this beautiful work of art. I don't think I would have thought twice about it had I seen it anywhere else.

Anonymous said...

You are a wise owl and I sdmire you.
Janine