
Over the past few months I have become hyper sensitive to blanket statements and generalizations that run rampant in lecture, Sunday school, Relief Society and other venues around these parts. I am making a concerted effort to not be offended or automatically label the person who offered the comment up for public consumption as a complete ignoramus. A passion of mine that falls victim to the ignorance of others is art and the study of it.
Another aspect that I would like to touch upon is that wretched question that I’m asked from time to time. What is your favorite painting? First of all, there are so many other mediums of art and second, that is an impossible question. It is impossible for many reasons. What does favorite mean, does it mean what painting would you like to hang in your home or does it mean what painting employs your favorite formal techniques or symbolism??? Asking someone to name a favorite movement or artist is a slightly more manageable question but still, I have studied so much art that I can appreciate and enjoy looking at; even this question is difficult to answer.
spanning from bizarre subject matter, naturalism, use of light and shadow, historical context and aesthetic value. Despite this I would not want any of them in my home. Not all art is created equal. Artists cannot be pigeon holed. Just as musicians change their sound, artists change their style.
3 comments:
As a fellow art historian I know what you're going through. I'm glad that you're expressing your feelings on the subject. My pet peeve during school was the notion that all of the art we look at is nude; which if we did our classes would be much more interesting. I applaud your honestly.
Your post aptly describes the angst of studying any field of the arts. I've felt the same in my pursuit of knowledge in literature, film, and theater. It's hard to study and seek the transcendent in your field when the ignorance or just unwillingness of others outside so strongly undercuts your efforts.
Having moved from literature to archival science, I can tell you that things don't improve much. :)
Lovers of the arts are destined to remain the Prometheus figures of modern culture, I fear.
I completely agree with you! I have been getting that alot lately...people asking my favorite artist/painting/or whatever! There is just so much to choose from!
I hope your semester is going well! You should e-mail me and update me on your scholarly life...thesis, study abroad, you know, all the interesting stuff :)!
Post a Comment