I see a lot of strange art work in my lectures and texts however Diego Rivera puts any Dadaist wackos to shame. In American Art today we discussed Diego Rivera, a communist Mexican muralist who was Frida Kahlo's man friend.
I'm not going to go all art historian on you but I will tell you a couple of things about this mural that Rockefeller himself commissioned and later destroyed when he figured out what subject matter Rivera injected into this art work on acid.

Yes that is our friend Vladimir Lenin seated to the right of the common man in the apex of the mural. He is shown underneath a wing with the cosmos on it. Yes on the other side of the machine we see the socialites who are standing below a wing with syphilis and gonorrhea on it. Beautiful just beautiful. I'm shocked that Rockefeller didn't end up liking it.
I'm not going to go all art historian on you but I will tell you a couple of things about this mural that Rockefeller himself commissioned and later destroyed when he figured out what subject matter Rivera injected into this art work on acid.

Yes that is our friend Vladimir Lenin seated to the right of the common man in the apex of the mural. He is shown underneath a wing with the cosmos on it. Yes on the other side of the machine we see the socialites who are standing below a wing with syphilis and gonorrhea on it. Beautiful just beautiful. I'm shocked that Rockefeller didn't end up liking it.
3 comments:
That painting is so crazy! The inspiration you can receive while on acid is remarkable.
Maybe the cramping hand is worth it after all if you get to spend your time looking at works of art like this. Ugh!
Oh no my friend, he wasn't even on acid, that was just an expression I was using to describe the odd nature of the art work....it would be more acceptable if he had been on acid when he created it but no he was just on communism.
How sad. I suppose communism and acid are comparable in ways. :o)
Post a Comment